The CARES Emergency Fund provides $500 grants to Los Rios students impacted by COVID-19 who are involved in sudden and unexpected emergencies.
These funds are provided by the Coronavirus, Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, which includes one-time support for higher education institutions to help address the immediate and urgent impacts on our students and colleges. These grants have no repayment obligation.
To be eligible, students must:
- Have a temporary need resulting from a sudden, unexpected emergency event
- Have been impacted by COVID-19
- Be currently enrolled in at least six units at a Los Rios college
- Have been enrolled in at least six units during the spring 2020 semester at a Los Rios college
- Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress and have a 2.0 or higher grade point average (GPA) or higher
- Meet Title IV eligibility including:
- Fill out the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Be registered with Selective Service, if you are a male (you must register between the ages of 18 and 25).
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress in college or career school.
- Sign the certification statement on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form stating that the following are true:
- You are not in default on a federal student loan.
- You do not owe money on a federal student grant.
- You will use federal student aid only for educational purposes.
- Show you're qualified to obtain a college or career school education by having a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate.
How to Apply
- Go to the CARES Emergency Fund Application on losrios.academicworks.com.
- Click Apply.
- If you aren't already signed in, then sign in using your Los Rios student ID number and password.
- Complete and submit the application.
A maximum of one $500 CARES Emergency Fund award will be given to any one student during all combined enrollments at the Los Rios colleges.
If you have previously applied for the Los Rios Student Emergency Fund, then you may still apply for the CARES Emergency Fund.
Update Your Mailing Address
Eligible students will receive these grants by mail, so please make sure that the address you have on file in eServices is up to date.
There are many forms of help for people experiencing hardships because of COVID-19. Visit Los Rios' Basic Needs Resources to see if you can find additional help.