The Los Rios Student Emergency Fund provides immediate financial assistance (usually within 24 hours) to students involved in catastrophic or unexpected emergency situations.
We don't want life to get in the way of your progress towards a certificate or degree, and these one-time grants come with no repayment obligations.
Students must be able to provide documentation showing they have a temporary financial need resulting from a sudden, unexpected situation. In addition, students must:
- Be in "Good Standing"
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher
- Be currently enrolled in at least six units at a Los Rios college
- Have completed at least one semester at a Los Rios and taken a minimum of six units
- Have completed less than 60 units total at the Los Rios colleges
- Have identified and be making progress toward an academic goal
- Not be on academic probation of any kind
- Have considered other possible resources (such as insurance, financial aid, or funding from other service organizations) and have been found to be unavailable or insufficient
- Have not previously received student emergency funds
Student emergency funds are not available for ongoing support. The application will ask students to provide a plan that shows they will be able to move successfully forward after they have received support from the student emergency fund.
Exceptions to these guidelines will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The following are examples of expenses that may be covered:
- Travel costs related to sudden death or illness of an immediate family member
- Safety-related needs, such as changing a lock on a vehicle or home
- Replacement of essential personal belongings due to fire, natural disaster, or theft that are not covered by insurance or other agency
- Costs related to medical care that are not covered by insurance or other agency
- Academic expenses that are not related to delays in receiving financial aid
The emergency fund cannot provide financial assistance for everyday expenses that are ongoing and not the result of an emergency, regardless of financial need. The following are examples of expenses that are not covered:
- Tuition, lab expenses, health insurance, study abroad costs
- Non-essential utilities, entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel, or other non-essential expenses
- Household items, personal belongings, or furniture costs
- Costs for regular bills or recurring expenses
- Debt, fines, or restitution owed from criminal or civil court cases
- Penalties and interest on past due bills
A student may receive a maximum of one student emergency fund grant of up to $500 during all combined enrollments at the Los Rios colleges. All awards are contingent upon the availability of limited funds, provided through generous donations.
Before You Apply
Before you apply for the student emergency fund, check to see if you are eligible for the CARES Emergency Fund. The application is much simpler and there are more funds available.
If you are not eligible for the CARES Fund and still need help, then please check Los Rios' Basic Needs Resources to see if you can find additional help
How to Apply
- Go to the Student Emergency Fund Application on losrios.academicworks.com.
- Click Apply.
- If you aren't already signed in, then sign in using your Los Rios student ID number and password.
- Complete and submit the application.